Find Out More
For INTO's Academic English program information, tuition, fees and start dates, visit the INTOstudy site.
Request More Information
Improve your language skills while building your knowledge of U.S. culture with the Academic English (AE) program. You can also choose electives of interest, learn industry-specific vocabulary, and prepare for standardized tests.
This program will help you develop the skills to succeed beyond the classroom. You'll learn to:
- Use vocabulary common to academic disciplines.
- Take accurate notes in academic lectures and presentations
- Read, understand, and evaluate academic texts.
- Present spoken and written ideas accurately and effectively in English.
- Write research papers with proper use of citations and references.
All students take a Placement Exam during orientation to determine their AE level. You can estimate your level based on your standardized test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, IELA, Duolingo).
INTO will determine the best AE course level for you based on your language assessment scores in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
The table might help you compare your standardized English proficiency scores with INTO Mason AE levels. Students who submit valid TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores may be eligible for Assured AE Level Placement.
- Start dates: August for fall semester; January for spring semester; May for summer semester.
- Program length: 16 weeks in the fall and spring, 11 weeks in the summer.
- Classroom time: 18 to 20 hours per week in the fall and spring, 25 hours per week in the summer.
- Minimum enrollment: One semester
- AE levels: Seven, ranging from beginner to advanced/proficient
Application requirements: You must be at least 17 and have a high school diploma.
Progression requirements: After completing Academic English levels, you can continue to an International Year One Undergraduate Pathway or Graduate Pathway, or use your AE Level to apply directly to Mason.