Visa Requirements

All students who are not permanent residents, green card holders, or U.S. citizens must have a visa to study in the United States.   

Types of Visas for Study at INTO Mason

This is not a comprehensive list of all valid visas. Contact INTO Mason (email us at with any further questions regarding your eligibility. 

  • F-1: Issued to international students attending an academic program or English language program at a U.S. college or university.
  • J-1: Issued to participants in an approved program to teach, instruct, study, observe, conduct research, consult, demonstrate special skills, or receive training. Indicate this is the type of visa you need when you apply; processing takes time.
  • A-2: Issued to people traveling to the United States on behalf of a national government.

Note: An F-2 visa is not acceptable for enrollment.

Permanent residents, green card holders, and U.S. citizens are eligible for INTO Mason's academic programs. Tuition and fees are the same regardless of residency. 


I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

After you sign your offer letter and pay your deposit, INTO Mason will mail you an I-20, a document issued by the university. It confirms your admission to an academic study program and have the financial resources to stay in the United States. This  document that allows you to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. 

After you submit all necessary documents, our Designated School Official (DSO) will create your initial I-20.

Be sure to provide an accurate address on your application. We will ship the I-20 via DHL Express Mail for international packages ($100 fee), or FedEx for packages shipped within the United States ($20 fee). 

The I-20 will be mailed within three days after you confirm your place.  The confirmation packet will include such items as a copy of the confirmation letter and letter to the consular official, both on school letterhead. 


Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) I-901 Fee

At least three business days before you schedule your visa interview, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, in addition to the visa application fee. You will need: 

  • Your SEVIS ID number. Find it on the top of your I-20, or on the top right corner of your DS-2019, which is the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status. 
  • Mason F-1 School Code: WAS214F00683000
  • Mason J-1 School Code: P-1-04835

Transferring from Another U.S. School 

If you are moving to Mason from another U.S. school and have an F-1 visa, you must complete the F-1 Student Transfer Eligibility form at least 15 days before your program's start date. 

We will need a copy of your I-20 and visa, confirming that you in active standing (your I-20 has not been terminated). We will provide you with the transfer form, which your current school must complete. 


Re-Enrolling INTO Mason

If you've left our program and wish to return, contact the enrollment team ( or your academic advisor.

We'll tell you which documents to submit. This might include:

  • New financial documents.
  • Updated passport.
  • Recent English language test scores.

If you've completed your INTO Mason program and hope to earn a Mason degree, you must update your I-20. The Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) can help.